If Tumblr was a child, its parents would be WordPress and Twitter, sprinkled with rumors of infidelity involving Flickr. At its core, Tumblr is a microblogging platform with a strong emphasis on images. Its easy-to-use interface makes it the perfect entry-level site for bloggers who are not yet ready to master the intimidating WordPress platform.
We know what you’re thinking—what good would yet another blog do for your company? Tumblr is, after all, simply another option among a sea full of Blogposts, WordPresses, and Posterouses (Posteri?). Just hang on a second, and we’ll give you a few reasons why you’ll want to jump on the tumbling band wagon.
- Everyone and their mothers are on Tumblr. According to comScore, in mid-October, the site had 77 million blogs and 13.4 million unique visitors. That means that this particular bandwagon is a large one, one whose audience you can use to your advantage. Its millions of visitors means that you’ll reach readers and potential clients with your content.
- Easy-to-navigate dashboard. Tumblr’s dashboard is extremely simple, even for those of us who had to be trained to use a #hashtag. Blog posts by the writers you follow pop up on your dashboard, and you can read them at your convenience. This means that when you post something to your blog, your reader will come across it. Even if these readers neglect to visit your site regularly, they’ll get a friendly, unobtrusive reminder of your existence in their dashboard.
- Free, free, free. Like most blog platforms, the service is free, so long as you choose the basic option.
- Social networking and community. Tumblr is a social network in and of itself. You follow other bloggers, and they follow you. You can chat, “like,” favorite, and reply to certain posts. You can even choose to make your blog private to certain readers. Tumblr hosts events where bloggers can meet up with other bloggers. It’s a great way to become part of something larger, and to build your business presence.
- Business branding made easy. Many businesses rave about Tumblr’s contribution to getting their name out there. Tumblr is a great way to reveal the full capabilities of your business to your potential clients. It gives them a glimpse into your world, and keeps your presence alive in their memories.
- Visual media. Tumblr places a strong emphasis on images and visual blogging. Tumblr creates a wonderful opportunity for artists, designers, and photographers to showcase their work. This means that you will have plenty of opportunities to portray your business’s potential.
- Personalization. Tumblr is a personal way to share things that interest you. The customizable themes and ease-of-use make it one of the most popular blogs available. Tumblr is a great way to show your potential clients what your company is all about, what appeals to you, and what your business can do for your clients.
Whether or not you’ve already climbed on board with Tumblr, you might want to head over there and give it a try. Sure, some say it’s just another option for blogging and posting, but it’s more than that. It’s a venue through which you can reach a wider net of potential clients. Why not give it a try and see how it pays off?